There’s nothing like swinging into a room wearing a truly one-of-a-kind jacket that fits well and looks stunning. And the way to get one: make it yourself!
Sewing your own clothes can be one of life’s most rewarding activities, especially if you don’t usually fit the industry-standard sizes available in “off the rack” stores. And the best way to own clothes that are unique and decently made is to make them yourself.
In this workshop, you will make your own Art to Wear jacket using the versatile and easy Tabula Rasa Jacket by Fit for Art patterns. It’s hip length with a natural shoulder line, square armholes, and a kimono-style band finish. Sizes range from XS-3XL, but don’t worry, you can make it smaller or bigger!
1. In this workshop, you will learn how to work with a commercial sewing pattern for clothes. You will learn about decoding the back of the pattern, measuring your body, determining your size and making adjustments, adding ease, reading instructions, and understanding individual pattern pieces. We will make a partial mockup from muslin ensure the pattern fits.
2. You will learn how to pin the pattern to fabric and to transfer various markings from pattern to cloth. You will learn the pros and cons of different lay-out options and the function of pattern markings. You will cut the pattern out. You will learn about interfacing and partial lining.
3. You will then construct the jacket out of your selected fabric.
4. By the end of the workshop, you will understand the basic principles of using a pattern to sew clothes and have gained enough confidence to get started on making more things for yourself!
5. We will also look at how home sewing relates to environmental issues in “fast fashion” and how trends in the cloth market impact home sewers.
Students must bring their own sewing machine. The registration fee includes the pattern, muslin, tailor's chalk and interfacing. A materials list will be provided following registration to permit time for students to acquire fabric and other necessary supplies.
Instructor: Hermina (Minnie) Joldersma
Prerequisites: Your own sewing machine in good working order with zigzag stitch and the ability to operate the machine. Age 16 or older.
Cost: $213 (includes pattern, muslin, tailor's chalk and interfacing)
Registration Opens: January 10, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Registration Closes: March 23, 2023